Whether you’re looking to lose a few kgs or just want to be healthier, most of us turn to exercise first. Instead, start in the kitchen. This place can make or break most of us. So here are 6 simple ideas that help organise us better, so it’s easier than ever to choose healthy options.
- Get rid of unhealthy foods. Sounds like common sense, but it might be the soft drink we’re keeping in the fridge for our husband or ice-cream for the kids. We don’t need it there to tempt us, and ditching it will also help improve the nutrition of our family too.
- Double a recipe. Don’t worry, you won’t waste food… in fact you might even be saving dollars at the supermarket and time in the kitchen. Portioning out the leftovers, means you have healthy meals to grab when you’re on the go or come home late from work.
- Down size your crockery. Eating off a smaller plate will help shrink the meal sizes, and therefore the calories.
- Have fruit ready to eat. One of the reasons we reach for junk food over home cooked/prepared food is convenience. So when you get home from the grocery store, spend a few extra minutes cutting up fruit or veggies and pop them in containers to store. This works well for things like melons, pineapples, kiwi fruit.
- Snacks to go. While you’re cutting up your fruit, why not package up some favourite bite size foods like nuts, cheese, popcorn (without the butter), carrots and put them into ziplock bags to keep in the fridge or pantry.
- Yoghurt. Whenever you can, always stock yoghurt in the fridge. You’d be amazed how plain yoghurt can be added to meals (as a substitute to creams), and as an after dinner “dessert” with some thawed out frozen berries, when you get cravings.
For more nutritional hints and tips, subscribe to our newsletter for exclusive access to qualified health and fitness trainers, special VIP offers & be first to hear about new products!