Training, doing and finishing Made Easy…
You can argue, protest, disagree, make excuses, give alternatives and even pretend that you don’t want to, or can’t complete a tri-athalon-but you can!! And if you want to challenge yourself; your mind, your body, your mental toughness and your true character this is a unique and special way to do it!!
AND if you want to lose weight, be fit, strong and healthy and slide rather than squish into your clothes-tri-athalon is far more interesting way to get there than just one form of exercise!!
Get fitted for a bike that feels comfortable and remember we never forget how to ride a bike so even if it has been 40 years-you WILL remember!! And also remember a comfy helmet
- Get fitted for, and invest in, a quality pair of running shoes
- Dress in loose fitting, comfortable clothes that give you room to move, keep you cool and don’t have seams, buttons or zippers that may cause chaffing
- For biking and running, pick an environment/place that you will enjoy being in. A big park, an ocean road, out in the country. If you want to avoid the weather, pick a gym or Health Club where you will feel comfortable. If you want to train in the absolute convenience of your own home, invest in a good quality bike and treadmill and set them up in an airy, light, cool area where you won’t be interrupted by the phone, kids, dog or visitors
- Get in the pool and swim a lap or 2-until you are puffed
- Get on your bike and have a ride for a bit-10-20 mins-until you feel a bit puffed
- Go for a fast walk/slow jog for a few minutes and the very second you feel puffed or uncomfortable-STOP and walk
- A few minutes of each will be loads if this is your first exercise session for a long time or ever-do this everyday for a week or 2.
- Whenever you train, warm-up then keep going until you are puffed-then STOP or slow down. When you are completely recovered and not puffing at all-start the exercise again. The very second you feel puffed or uncomfortable-slow down or STOP
- Repeat this simple, easy process, everyday, minimum 3-4 times a week, with the only goal to stick with it, no matter what, for 7-10 days
- Get a short, heavy, functional, compound exercise strength training program designed for you. You have to get strong!! Every stroke and step of your tri-athalon will be easier if your muscles are strong. 3-4 exercises, one for your legs, one for your upper body (front) and one for your upper body (back). 1 set of each exercise and keep going until you can’t do anymore. If you do more than 12 of each exercise, increase the weight next time and if you do less than 12, do more next training session. Only once a week with the only goal to keep getting stronger!!
- ALWAYS train with a SMILE on your face-your brain releases natural pain killers when you smile. Don’t question it-just do it, it works!!
- Now it is time to start timing the time you spend stopped or slow moving vs. the time you puffing and slowly increase the puffing time and decrease the stopped/slow moving time.
- Slowly and gradually puff for longer and go slow for less time. Measure the time and se celebrate your achievements everyday
- NEVER miss a strength training session, every week, keep getting stronger. The only reason to have a week off is if you stop getting stronger-you must measure the weight, not how many times you do it!
Interval your puff time to keep getting loner and the goal now is decided by what you enjoy the most…
NOW for THE Tri-athalon!!
- Get faster for each interval exercise it becomes a sprint
- Keep going for longer for each interval of exercise
- Look for some hills to bike and run and repeat your whole program with the addition of an incline
- For running, go to the beach and aim to achieve your program in the soft sand
- Run on a treadmill and aim to beat it every time whether by time or distance
- 2 times a week set a longer time-frame to swim, bike, run and keep increasing the time-EVERYTIME, the distance will come automatically
- Set yourself a goal enter the event with the only goal being to finish
- Enter and PAY for your entry-now you are committed
- SEE yourself running over the finish line and every-time you train, visualise it again and again
- Every-time you train, aim to get faster!! LSD = LSR: Long slow distance = Long slow results
- Every-time you lift weights, aim to get stronger!! LW=SM during and after your event: Light weight = SORE MUSCLES during and after your event
- The week before your competition run, train slowly and easy. Enough to keep moving without too much effort
- No lifting weights this week
- ALL Clear wee’s this week. You must keep drinking water until your wee is clear and if it is even slightly yellow, drink more
- You can only store 500 grams of carbohydrate and you will need it all for your event plus much more, so from 3-4 days before your event until the day, eat whole-grain/brown bread, cereal, rice and pasta every meal
- The day/ night before your event, and the morning of your run eat regularly and eat light snacks of cereal, bread, rice and bananas
- Have a small, strong coffee or a small glass of cola before your event-it helps to save your carbohydrate and burn fat quicker-you will need all your 500 grams of stored carbohydrate-plus much more
- Have your IPod/MP3 player filled with your favourite, upbeat, fast songs that inspire you and record them in the live version (The clapping will inspire you when you are feeling a little tired) and have more songs that the longest time it will take you to finish!
- ALWAYS go to the toilet before the start, even if you don’t feel like it
- Drink at every drink stop or better, have a, ‘Pit crew’ along the way with your favourite drink-no diet drinks, you will need the energy
- Compete the whole race with a HUGE SMILE on your face-your brain releases natural pain killers when you smile AND you will be an inspiration for the other folks competing and the people watching
- What to think about: Say your goals to yourself, say your favourite quotes over and over and repeat your positive affirmations; “I am fit, strong and healthy”, “I am a
tri-athlete”, “When the going gets tough the tough get excited”, “I am tough, pain is just weakness leaving my body!!”
- Be very proud of yourself when you finish your race-and you WILL!
- Keep moving after the finish line
- Have a hot shower/bath as soon as possible
- Have a massage and celebrate your achievement
- Pick the date for your next, longer distance tri-athalon and enter!!
HAPPY Training and competing!!
Rowena Szeszeran-McEvoy The Founder: The MAX International College for Fitness Professionals and a 14 time marathoner by training this exact way