Who doesn’t love a good fish & chips on a Friday night! Here’s a healthy recipe to ensure all your hard work exercising this week, isn’t reversed in one meal.
Fish and Chips
Ingredients (Serves 4)
100g instant polenta
Grated zest of 1 lemon
¼ bunch parsley, finely chopped
4 white-fleshed fish fillets
2 tbsp olive oil
Black pepper to season
4 unpeeled potatoes, each cut into six wedges
1 sweet potato, peeled and cut in half, then each half cut into 12 to 14 wedges
2 tsp olive oil
Lemon and lime wedges
Small green salad to serve
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Combine polenta, lemon zest and parsley in a shallow dish. Season with black pepper. Put eggs in a separate dish and beat. Dip each piece of fish into the beaten eggs, then into the polenta mixture. Press the polenta onto the fish, so that it’s well coated.
3. Put potato and sweet potato wedges into a bowl. Pour olive oil over and toss to combine. Arrange wedges in a single layer on a baking tray and put in oven. Cook for 10 minutes, then remove from oven and turn each wedge over. Return to the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes, until crisp and golden on the outside.
4. Once you have returned the wedges to the oven for the second half of their cooking time, place a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil and, once hot but not smoking, add the polenta-crusted fish.
5. Cook fish for 3-5 minutes until polenta has started to turn golden brown. Turn each piece over and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes until cooked through and just starting to flake.
6. Serve with green salad and lemon and lime wedges.
HEALTH HINT: White-fleshed fish gets less attention than more oily, high-omega-3 varieties – but they’re still high in iodine and a good source of low-fat protein
TIP: You can use any firm white fish for this recipe – although the cooking times may vary slightly, depending on the thickness of the pieces of fish you use.