Starting a new healthy eating plan can be a bit daunting. With new ingredients and new recipes to master, it takes a bit of planning and preparation to make it all happen.
Which is why sticking to the new regime can be the biggest challenge. But it’s worth remembering your goals and why you started in the first place. Don’t give in to temptation – it’s a moments pleasure that will soon pass. Your dreams won’t. So here are 12 easy tricks by PopSugar
to beat those temptations. It is possible to manage your unhealthy eating habits, as much as your healthy habits too.
1. Step away from the screen: Mindless snacking can be a bad habit. Instead of grabbing a snack while you work or watch TV, pay attention to your snack cravings. Are you eating just out of habit?
2. Drink a glass of water: If you’re feeling hunger pangs, first polish off a tall glass of H2O. The water will help fill up your stomach, helping you know if you’re hungry or just dehydrated.
3. Take a hike: A quick, brisk stroll will help your body reset.
4. Don’t deprive yourself: If you totally give up everything you desire, you’ll set yourself up to crash. Allow yourself treats, just in moderation.
5. Grab a healthy snack: Before you indulge in junk food or sweets, grab something healthy like an apple or a handful of nuts. You might be surprised by how satisfied you actually feel.
6. Add a hint of mint: The strong scent of mint is a natural appetite suppressant, so stock up on this refreshing flavour.
7. Brush your teeth: The simple act of brushing your teeth can help you quit snacking. Once your mouth feels squeaky clean, you’ll be less tempted to reach for more bites.
8. Chew gum: Keeping your mouth busy with gum can help distract you from your sweet and salty cravings.
9. Be picky: If you’re going to treat yourself, indulge in the best. Choose dark chocolate or other gourmet snacks; even a small piece will feel decadent.
10. Keep a food diary: Writing down what you eat helps keep you accountable. If you know a pack of cheese and onion chips is going on your list, you may be more likely to choose something else to snack on.
11. Lighten up: Add healthy ingredients to your treats. Mix Greek yoghurt into your guacamole for added protein in your chips and dip, or swap whole milk for almond milk in hot cocoa.
12. Skip the sweeteners: Artificial sweeteners may actually cause more sweet cravings, so try to ditch them altogether.